With this snapshot you will finally be able to send crash report directly to us without having to upload them manually to the bug tracking system. This only works for Windows for now, but it will be available for the other platforms as well.
When Opera crashes, it will open a dialog box which asks whether you want to report the crash to us. Clicking on "Options" lets you fill in some details, such as what you were doing when the crash occurred. There is also an option to restart Opera (enabled by default), so that you can get it up and running again right away.
We are aware that some of the text under "Options" is cut off, so there is no need to report that.
We have already fixed several crash bugs based on the logs you have uploaded, but with this new crash reporting mechanism it's even easier to help us make Opera even more stable. We have systems in place to handle the incoming reports which allows us to process crash logs more efficiently, resulting in a more stable product.
The dialog is work in progress, so we appreciate any feedback.
Note: If you come across any reproducible crash bugs, we would still appreciate it if you report them through the Bug Report Wizard.
We also have good news for those of you who have requested more detailed changelogs.
This time around we have processed all the changes since the previous snapshot in order to be able to provide you with more details. The complete changelog has a lot of information that isn't applicable to the current public build, or that are of a sensitive nature, so there is quite a bit of manual work involved. We need to make sure that we get as many relevant changes as possible while at the same time avoid revealing something we shouldn't. Feature development for Opera 10 isn't finished yet, after all.
Depending on how this turns out, we may decide to do this in the future as well.
Spelling checker freeze
• [CORE-20030] Opera starts freezing when more than 22 dashes ("-") appear in a textarea
File layout issues
The new file layout could still have bugs, so it will not be available as an automatic update.
• History search, favicons, thumbnails and widgets may not always be upgraded correctly
• [DSK-249941] Upgrade ignores operadef6.ini (except the "Multi User" setting)
• [DSK-250505] Toolbars like the Personal Bar and Navigation Bar disabled after upgrading
• [DSK-250011] Thumbnail profile folder not moved to correct location
Highlights • Added user interface for built-in crash reporting. Please remember to add any relevant details before sending the report (only Windows for now)
• Turbo mode is now disabled automatically for local IP addresses and hostnames
• Work on adding a placeholder image for plugins that are missing or not loaded (in Turbo mode) - see the "extras" folder for the SVG file
• Google TLD server work. On first run, we contact a Google server, and it returns the correct top level domain (TLD) to use (google.ru for Russia, google.no for Norway, and so on)
• Show sent mail when using threading in the e-mail client
• Updated Presto version to 2.2.2
• Some improvements for skin designers:
1) Added "Reload skin" action, which can be assigned to a keyboard shortcut in the shortcut editor (e.g. "F5 ctrl" - "Reload skin" under the "Application" section)
2) You can point to an unzipped skin by adding the full path to the skin.ini file in opera:config#UserPrefs|ButtonSet (use the "Reload skin" action after changing the setting)
3) Toolbar.ini defines new button skins for each toolbar, so each toolbar can be skinned separately. Fallback is Toolbar Button Skin. (Known issue: Native skins not updated yet, so they will get the hover state for the default skin instead)
User Interface • [DSK-172058] Insufficient label height for Japanese translation in "Download Opera setup" dialog
• [DSK-221828] Fix for Thunder Download menu entry (popular Chinese download accelerator)
• [DSK-248608] Manual update check wasn't working when Opera was set to "don't check for updates"
• [DSK-248813] Any search from personal bar triggered Google, regardless of selected search engine (related to Google TLD work)
• [DSK-250489] "Show menu=0" didn't work
• [DSK-250519] Fix for Fast Forward at Polish Google site
Site Compatibility • [DSK-251475] Couldn't click zoom buttons at Google Maps
• [CORE-9016] Moving an iframe didn't move Flash content
• [CORE-13140] Empty text nodes shouldn't always cause line breaks in rich text editors (needs testing)
• [CORE-16468] Mouse events were captured on transparent SVG
• [CORE-19542] SVG image not repainted correctly after scrolling
• [CORE-20005] Opera would not set document.cookie when IP address was specified in the URL
Stability • Several crash fixes (table-row styled optgroups, kiosk mode crash on startup, document.write crash in javacript:, crash when overwriting TEXTAREA in designMode, back button crash, crash when selecting all in documentedit with generated content, sync crash on exit)
• Plugged some memory leaks
• [CORE-19951] Fixed freeze with nexted CSS display styles
• [CORE-20185] Freeze when searching DOM in Dragonfly
Mail/Chat • Show sent mail when using threading
• [DSK-198726] "- Opera" incorrectly added to IRC toolbar
• [DSK-226853] Threaded mail view showed as Flat, and Period didn't work on PowerPC and SPARC
• [DSK-231550] Inconsistent icons for Check and Send
• [DSK-240924] Switching to RTL directionality fails in M2
• [DSK-250841] Drafts appear in Received when any character was entered into the To field
Widgets • [CORE-18771] 302 wasn't handled properly in widgets when using XHR
Windows • [DSK-250506] Profile lost after upgrading single user installation
• [DSK-241585] Opening a download in an external application would open several tabs because of spaces in the local path